Thanks to the numerous advancements on the use of medical cannabis, more people are beginning to understand the applications of the latter in the area of medicine and healthcare. For people suffering from chronic debilitating conditions, medical cannabis can be an alternative source of reprieve and one that is devoid of adverse effects and contraindications that are often prevalent in many prescription drugs.
Existing Laws on Medical Cannabis
Of course, the current laws regarding medical cannabis can be challenging to understand. However, they can be broken down to key terms to make them simpler to digress:
- The regulations ensure that “seriously ill people can acquire and utilize marijuana for medical functions.”
- That patients and their primary caretakers who obtain and utilize cannabis for medical functions upon the suggestion of a physician are exempt to prosecution or sanctions of any kind.”
Based on the law, patients and their state-approved caregivers may be given legitimate access to medical cannabis in Australia.To qualify, patients must be examined by a medical professional and furnished a recommendation for medical marijuana. An application is then sent out to the state health department along with a proposal for the issuance of a medical cannabis card.
A medical marijuana ID card is valid for up to a year from the date of issuance and is then subject to renewal. Just like any other government documents, the latter grants the holder rights (a legitimate means of buying medical marijuana for medical reasons) and likewise comes with specific responsibilities, restrictions and penalties for misuse.
A medical marijuana ID card may be revoked for any of the following reasons:
- Caregiver withdraws recommendation for granting patient access to a medical marijuana card
- Caregiver reports that the patient is no longer under his/her care.
- Conviction of drug-related offences — selling marijuana
- The cardholder has not visited the dispensary for over two months
Where Can You Purchase Medical Marijuana?
Only after receipt of a Medical Marijuana card in the mail is a patient allowed to purchase medical cannabis from any of the numbers of dispensaries in the state. These dispensaries regulate purchases and ensure that only legitimate cardholders have access to the latter. Each state has laws regarding the quantity of marijuana that a patient can buy or possess at any given time.
What medical conditions qualify for the use of medical cannabis?
Specific medical conditions that qualify for the use of medical cannabis vary from one state to another. Some states are more liberal than others, and a few are added or removed each year. Among the most common qualifying medical conditions for the use of medical marijuana include the following:
- Seizures and epilepsy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
- Cachexia (Muscle wasting)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Chronic pain
- Neurodegenerative Illnesses
Do you have any of the conditions listed above or wondering if your medical condition qualifies you for a medical cannabis card? The only way to know for sure is to discuss the matter with your primary caregiver. Only then can you determine whether access to medical marijuana can help you alleviate your symptoms and obtain a better quality of life.